Java - Introduction
1. What is java?
- Java is a programming language and a platform.
- Platform: Any hardware or software environment in which a program runs, is known as a platform. Since Java has its own runtime environment (JRE) and API, it is called platform.
2. History of Java
- James Gosling, his team initiated the Java language project in June 1991. The small team of sun engineers called Green Team.
- Originally designed for small, embedded systems in electronic appliances like set-top boxes.
- After that, it was called Oak(tree name) and was developed as a part of the Green project.
- In 1995, Oak was renamed as Java because it was already a trademark by Oak Technologies.
- Java is an island of Indonesia where first coffee was produced (called java coffee).
- JDK 1.0 released in(January 23, 1996).
3. Java Version History
- JDK Alpha and Beta (1995)
- JDK 1.0 (23rd Jan, 1996)
- JDK 1.1 (19th Feb, 1997)
- J2SE 1.2 (8th Dec, 1998)
- 2SE 1.3 (8th May, 2000)
- J2SE 1.4 (6th Feb, 2002)
- J2SE 5.0 (30th Sep, 2004)
- Java SE 6 (11th Dec, 2006)
- Java SE 7 (28th July, 2011)
- Java SE 8 (18th March, 2014)